History

 

Located in the city of Huber Heights,  a suburb of Dayton, Ohio, we at Faith Presbyterian Church are a community of believers that seek to "Follow Jesus Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit."

Learn about our community

Our area was largely fields and farmland until the building boom after World War II. It grew into a community, identified as the largest development of brick homes in the US in the 1960's. The area was incorporated as The City of Huber Heights in 1980; the population is currently at approximately 47,000.

In 1959, land for our church was purchased on centrally located Chambersburg Road. In September 1959, Rev James Conley was called by the Presbytery to organize a congregation. The first service of the new congregation was held on October 4, 1959 at what is now Titus Elementary School. On February 21, 1960, Faith Presbyterian Church was chartered, with 119 persons received into membership. In February 2010, we joyfully celebrated our Golden Jubilee.

 

The Tau Cross

 

Many people have wondered about the significance of the cross that hangs in the front of the sanctuary here at Faith.  It is called the Tau cross because of its resemblance to the Greek letter for T, which is called Tau.

Biblical historians believe this is the original form of the cross.  From the court of Pontius Pilate, Jesus carried the crosspiece to the hill called “Golgotha” where the upright section of the cross was already in place.  At that point, his hands were nailed to the crosspiece, which was hoisted up to the top of the upright and secured with large spikes.

A signboard reading “Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews” was attached above Jesus’ head.  The Latin cross, the most familiar style of cross, was developed much later.  It incorporates a vertical board above the crosspiece to represent the signboard which was placed over Jesus’ head.

 

Verses

"Meanwhile these three remain: faith, hope, love; but the greatest of these is love."

I Corinthians - 13:13